Google

Monday, October 1, 2007

Is christianity blind faith?




Today I would like to talk about faith. Now when I tried to share Christianity with people I've heard often experienced a similar response. "well I can't follow your religion because it is blind following, it is blind faith so I can't follow that religion. This is a very common reply but one that I believe doesn't really make sense if it is dissolved.

First of all what is faith. Well according to the bible, Hebrew 11:1, "Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see."This is a very straightforward definition. Faith is a huge part of any type of belief. Now most of "these people" that I referred to before, are believers in evolution. But what they fail to realize is that Evolution is also based on faith, any belief is cannot be repeated must be taken by faith. This is hard to understand because faith has been given the bad rap that it is unrealistic. Faith has been separated from belief and for some reason, belief has become something more logical then faith.

Take for example any historical fact, all of them are something you have faith in. It could all be made up you don't know you've just read it in books and assumed it was true. You have faith in the writer and the historian who claimed to find it, that it's not just a story. Or that the world is round, how could you prove it? we take somethings for granted. Now I'm not disagreeing with these I'm merely stating that we take very, very many thing by faith, though many of us refuse to use it for religion.

Now why do we have faith in these historical facts? Because we have proof backing it up right? We used other things to prove another thing or to assume it's true because blank is true.

My point is, is Christinaity faith. Yes. Is it blind, No unless everything else you believe about life is considered blind to.

As Christians we believe by faith certain things because we cannot prove them. But we believe them because other parts have been found to be true and proven, and it makes it a reliable witness to prove other things. We will never no everything about Christianity, it says in the bible hundreds of times that we are saved by faith. We are going to just have to believe in certain things with out having proved them.

So is Christianity based on faith, Yes hugely. But is it Blind? No.

7 comments:

Ryan said...

I enjoyed your post. I'm not so sure about your discussion of whether or not you can prove the world is round though. At that point, nothing is anything and nothing can be reality.

Simon said...

"Blessed are those who do not see and yet believe."

Above the Influence said...

yeah i wasn't to sure about that example either rybu, that doesn't seem to be one of my strong points making up examples. I always get comments criticizes them lol.

Above the Influence said...

well said neoauter

Ryan said...

Thanks for your comment on my bookstore adventures. LOL. If you liked Angels & Demons and Da Vinci Code, the other Dan Brown ones are great too. Out of the other ones I mentioned. I really enjoyed the Prince by Machiavelli but its not a story, but really political theory on conquering and maintaining empires- very interesting!

Santeyio said...

You put it fairly well there, lol.

Gerri said...

What I wanted to say was summed up perfectly by NeoAuteur. Faith plays a pivotal role in Christianity.