Google

Thursday, September 27, 2007

Purpose of Life




A few weeks ago when I was on my way back from a vacation in Ohio, I was reading in the airport waiting for my flight, when I heard a lady talking on the phone behind me. I tried not to eavesdrop but the book was getting kind of boring. She was talking about a friend of hers who had been feeling a bad headache the week before. And then the next day she died of a stroke. I began to feel bad for the lady. She continued talking and said yeah well that's just proof of that fact that we should live like there's no tommorow. And I was agreeing inside we should live that way but her next comment saddened me. And then she kind of laughed and said let's party enjoy life while you can. This is from a 50-60 year old lady.

This is really saddening for me for several reasons. First of all that is the opposite of what our perspective should be, and Second I know that alot of people live misguided this way.

Our perspective on life should not be "Enjoy life while you can because life is short," I agree that life is short but because of that we should accomplish something with our lives. By saying enjoy life while you can she's not only being selfish and only thinking about herself, but making her life into just another failure story. We as christians know that their is a higher purpose. Here on earth is not our life, this is the prelude that determines the ending. We have knowledge of information that can save the world. We need to share and spread it otherwise we indeed waste our lives and might as well be partying. Our goal in life does not need to be to party but it should be to make a difference to make a change. To spread the good news. I encourage you find out what your living for, and to make sure it is centered on God. Don't waste your life.

3 comments:

Michael said...

I agree with you 100%

One thing our pastor has encouraged us to do is write our own euology. He says he is tired of having to make up good things to say about someone at their funeral. Ouch! He says we should write out what we want others to say about us after we die and then begin to live in a way that brings those things into fruition.

Like you have stated here in your post, I want my life to matter. I want to make a difference. I want to know that I truly helped someone else. I want to know that I did my very best to show others the love of Christ!

Very nice post! And thank you for your comment earlier.

Have an awesome day!

Simon said...

There are two ways to enjoy life. One is to enjoy life by doing meaningful things. The other is to do what we would normally do.

Above the Influence said...

well neoauter, though that is true, a large amount of people can't enjoy life doing what they normally do, because they have the void that I believe is filled with religion, The quote by socretes Ignorance is bliss is definately true. I would venture to say once you start trying to change something or doing meaningful things as you put it you can't be happy living like you normally did.